On a ketogenic diet, your entire body switches its fuel supply to run almost entirely on fat. Insulin levels become very low, and fat burning increases dramatically. It becomes easy to access your fat stores to burn them off. This is obviously great if you’re trying to lose weight, but there are also other benefits.
However, it is important to monitor your water intake and ensure you remain hydrated.
Dehydration can cause many health issues like headaches, cramps, and fatigue. Water is very important in sustaining life and allowing for good health.
Did you know that it’s recommended to drink the same amount of water (in ounces) as half of your body weight (in pounds)? For example, a 100 lb person should drink a minimum of 50 oz. of water per day!
Why is Hydration Important While on the Ketogenic Diet?
While following the Ketogenic Diet, insulin sensitivity increases and your body naturally excretes higher amounts of sodium and retains less water. This can lead to dehydration.
The chemical formula for glucose is CH2O. When your body is eliminating stored glucose it loses water too, so it’s very important to replenish the water you lose in order have a balance.
Side Effects Associated With Dehydration
Hydration helps your body to eliminate toxins that enter it through food and other ways while dehydration builds up toxins which can cause many health issues.
Mild dehydration can cause headaches, fatigue, dizziness and dry skin.
During long car travels, children don’t seem to drink enough water. Once, in the middle of a long road trip, we stopped for a break and when my daughter got out the car she felt dizzy and fainted because of dehydration. It was very scary so I remind my children to drink more water when we are on car trips.
Severe dehydration can cause major health issues like confusion, low blood pressure, fever and even rapid heartbeat.
It is not easy to identify dehydration. But by listening to your body you can manage to avoid dehydration. Here are some ways you can identify it.
- The color of urine: By observing your urine color you can figure out if your body needs more water. If the urine is more yellow, it is an indication that you need more water.
- Dry mouth: A dry mouth is an indication that body needs more fluids.
Here are ways you can prevent dehydration:
- Consume high water-content vegetables: Vegetables like celery, greens, and lettuce can help in the hydration process. Include these types of vegetables in your daily diet.
- Avoid foods and drinks that cause dehydration: Foods with high sodium can cause dehydration. Since you consume more foods with high sodium content while on the Ketogenic Diet it is very very important to drink plenty of water.
Coffee: Coffee is a diuretic and causes dehydration if you consume too much. Adding butter and cream to your coffee will help to increase your fat consumption.
- Beware of activities that can cause dehydration: Running, walking, hiking, working out, and other activities that make you sweat removes water from your bodies, and hydration is of high importance.
- Staying hydrated throughout the day: Develop a habit to drink water more often. It is all about you taking care of your body and health. Make a chart with 8 cups of water and check them off as you drink. Decide on a few times of day that you will designate to drink water even if you are not thirsty. A few tips to increase hydration is to drink a cup of water…
- When you wake up
- Before meals
- After meals
- After doing a chore
On the go:
- During the drive work or to run errands
- During the drive back from work, or when driving your kids to school
- During every hour during long car rides
- During the break at work
- Before and after meetings
- Every hour or 2
- Before meals
- After meals
Ideas to Motivate You to Hydrate Yourself
- Drink warm water if you do not like cold water
- Drink green tea
- Add some lemon juice to your water
- Always keep some water by your side
Benefits of Drinking Water:
Drinking water has many benefits and here are some of the benefits.
Drinking an adequate amount of water:
- Reduces headaches
- Keeps your mind sharp, improves concentration and keeps you alert
- Lubricates your joints
- Flushes out waste through sweat and urination
- Prevents constipation
- Helps digestion
- Prevents body from overheating
- Helps to manage weight
Sign up for a Ketogenic Diet plan here.